- “Mechanics of Impunity: Vigilantism and State-Building in Indonesia.” Comparative Politics 55, no. 2 (January 1, 2023): 287–311.
- “Indonesia in 2021: In the Eye of the Storm.” Southeast Asian Affairs 2022, no. 1 (2022): 141–61.
- “Social Conflict in Indonesia During the Covid-19 Pandemic.” Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC), no. 78, October 2022.
- “Escalating Armed Conflict and a New Security Approach in Papua.” (with Deka Anwar) Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC), no. 77, July 2022.
- “Right-Wing Populism and Vigilante Violence in Asia.” Studies in Comparative International Development 56, no. 2 (June 1, 2021): 223–49.
- “Diminished Autonomy and the Risk of New Flashpoints in Papua.” Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC), no. 74, December 2021.
- “In the state’s stead? Vigilantism and policing of religious offence in Indonesia” In From stagnation to regression? Indonesian democracy after twenty years eds Warburton and Power, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2020.
- “Violence and Regimes in Asia: Capable States and Durable Settlements” (with Dan Slater). In The State of Conflict and Violence in Asia. The Asia Foundation, September 2017.
- "When Large Conflicts Subside: The Ebbs and Flow of Violence in Post-Suharto Indonesia" (with Ashutosh Varshney and Patrick Barron), Journal of East Asian Studies 16, no. 2, 2016.
- “How Large Conflicts Subside: Evidence from Indonesia” with Ashutosh Varshney and Patrick Barron, Indonesian Social Development Paper, World Bank, paper no. 18, 2014.
- “Final Reflections: Looking Back Moving Forward” (with Ashutosh Varshney, Patrick Barron and Blair Palmer) in Collective Violence in Indonesia Ashutosh Varshney (ed), 2010.
- “Indonesia’s new criminal code turns representatives into rulers”, (with Eve Earburton) New Mandala, Dec 2022
- “At the G20, Indonesia Claims Long-Overdue Limelight on the Global Stage”, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Nov 2022
- “How the Global Vaccine Divide Is Fueling Indonesia’s Coronavirus Catastrophe”, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, August 2021
- “The role of neighborhood leaders in Indonesia’s COVID-19 response”, New Mandala, November, 2020
- “Coronavirus Blunders in Indonesia Turn Crisis Into Catastrophe”, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 2020
- “Is Indonesia becoming a two-tiered democracy?”, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, January 2020
- “Protests against Joko Widodo Rock Indonesia”, Foreign Policy, September 2019
- “Civic structures and uncivil demands in Indonesia”, New Mandala, April, 2018
- “Between persecution and prosecution: vigilantes, the state and the politics of offence” (with Siswo Mulyartono), Indonesia at Melbourne, June, 2017
- “Justice by Numbers: The rising specter of vigilantism in Indonesia”, New Mandala, January, 2017
- “Marveling at Indonesian Democracy in Myanmar: Why bold reforms are critical for success”, New Mandala, December 2016
- “Street Power and Local Elections in Indonesia” (with Ihsan Ali Fauzi), New Mandala, April, 2016
Artikel dalam Bahasa Indonesia
- "Keadilan Berdasarkan Angka: Naiknya Bayang-bayang Vigilantisme di Indonesia", PUSAD Paramadina, 2017
- “Mempelajari Konflik Keagamaan Di Indonesia: Pengetahuan Dan Implikasi Kebijakan” In Kebebasan, Toleransi Dan Terorisme: Riset Dan Kebijakan Agama Di Indonesia, disunting oleh Ihsan Ali Fauzi, Zainal Abidin Bagir, dan Irsyad Rafsadi. Jakarta: PUSAD Paramadina, 2017
- "Kuasa Jalanan: Milisi dan Politik Pilkada di Indonesia" (dengan Ihsan Ali Fauzi), PUSAD Paramadina, 2016
- “Berlagak Aparat: Telaah Dampak Kapasitas Negara Terhadap Tindakan Main Hakim Sendiri” di Sisi Gelap Demokrasi: Kekerasan Masyarakat Madani Di Indonesia, disunting oleh Husni Mubarok dan Irsyad Rafsadi. Jakarta: PUSAD Paramadina, 2015